November 10, 2014
Carswell Announces Launch of Practical Law Canada
Toronto — Thomson Reuters, the world’s leading provider of intelligent information for businesses and professionals, announced today the launch of Practical Law Canada, offering legal know-how for Canadian law firms and corporate law departments on transactional law and practice. Practical Law Canada includes resources for Corporate, M&A, Capital Markets and Securities lawyers.
The Practical Law Canada team, centred around a group of lawyer-editors, each with significant practice experience from leading Canadian law firms and corporations, has created an outstanding collection of practical resources that gives Canadian lawyers the confidence to:
- Easily navigate approaches to transactional law issues and understand their application in practice;
- Draft agreements based on Practical Law Canada’s highly relevant, expertly authored precedents with the confidence that they are constantly maintained by legal experts and designed with a lawyer’s day to day practice in mind;
- Reduce non-billable planning time by using checklists; and
- Improve their understanding of preferred negotiating approaches to key issues.
Thomson Reuters also provides Practical Law UK, Practical Law US and Practical Law China, for the growing cross-global needs of lawyers around the world.
“Since 1990, lawyers in the UK and since 2009 lawyers in the US have been relying on Practical Law to provide them with a better starting point – a starting point based on the knowledge of highly experienced practitioners who have, in their many years of practice, confronted a wide variety of issues very successfully. These practitioners not only create the Practical Law content, they also constantly maintain it so that always reflects the current state of the law and the market standards. With Practical Law Canada, lawyers will save time, knowing that they can use it with confidence because it is authored and constantly maintained by a team of people who have practiced for many years in the leading firms and corporations in Canada” said Rachel Francis, Vice President, Legal and Regulatory at Carswell, a Thomson Reuters business. “We are proud to include Practical Law Canada within Thomson Reuters line of Legal Solutions.”
“We are excited to bring Practical Law to Canada,” said Don Van Meer, President and CEO, Carswell. “By providing analysis and precedents for business lawyers in an efficient, targeted, comprehensive and highly organized fashion, Practical Law Canada ensures that lawyers have what they need to work more effectively, increase efficiency and improve client services.”
As part of the know-how, practical application and analytical insight, Practical Law Canada lawyer-editors create resources that are indispensible to practitioners, such as:
- Practice Notes: Clear explanations of current law and practice written by experts, from quick guides and overviews to detailed analysis for specialists.
- Standard Documents and Clauses: Up-to-date market-standard templates that reflect the latest changes in law and practice. No more reinventing the wheel – Practical Law model documents can be used as an instant first draft.
- Checklists and Flowcharts: Quick reference reminders of the law, as it applies in practice, to mitigate risk and ensure you have everything covered.
- Multi-jurisdictional Guides: Compare the law across jurisdictions with simple Q&A guides, written by international and local experts. Guides feature cross-border analysis articles and a Q&A tool which allows you to generate custom comparison reports.
- Current Awareness: Legal updates and alerts, tailored for your areas of practice, explaining what you need to know and why.
At launch, Practical Law Canada will offer Corporate and Securities modules that will be sold together as a single subscription offering. Topics covered include corporate governance and continuous disclosure, prospectus offerings, exempt offerings, market regulation, corporate and public and private M&A.
Thomson Reuters is the world's leading source of intelligent information for businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization. With headquarters in New York and major operations in London and Eagan, Minnesota. For more information, go to www.thomsonreuters.com