NEW YORK – Today Reuters, the world’s largest international multimedia news provider, announced an agreement with Samsung to bring Reuters photography and video to new dimensions through an inventive program, Focus 360. The Focus 360 partnership capitalizes on the expertise and scope of Reuters global team, providing virtual reality and 360 degree video and photography news content from around the world, using Samsung Gear 360 cameras and editing technology.
Users will be able to view local and global stories in this new immersive medium on Reuters.com, Reuters.com mobile web and the Reuters News and Reuters TV apps. Newsrooms around the world will have free access to the content via Media Express.
Focus 360 will provide rich VR and 360 content to meet the changing needs of customers, who are increasingly relying on engaging video and photo experiences for their users and viewers.
The Focus 360 program will feature:
- A devoted channel on Reuters.com, allowing users the option of viewing the complete catalog of content in one place;
- Native placement on Reuters TV, Reuters dedicated connected video service. 360 content will be viewable on iPhone, iPad, Android and on the web at Reuters.tv;
- A full presence on Media Express, Reuters delivery platform for Reuters News Agency customers, including two devoted channels for distribution of VR video and 360 photography and video;
- An embeddable player and a how-to guide to enhance customer usage and understanding;
- Free content available for download for the duration of the program, including coverage of key planned events and news that would be enhanced through a VR or 360 experience.
Program content will be available on Reuters.com and the Reuters TV app for Android starting August 2 and on iOS beginning August 5. Viewers with the latest Samsung mobiles including Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+, Note5, S7, S7 edge and upcoming flagship models will be able to watch Focus 360 video content on the Samsung Gear VR.
The Reuters Content Solutions team will also create branded content executions for Samsung’s Youtube channel, blog, and sponsored placements on Reuters.com as part of the program.
"Our agreement with Samsung allows us to enhance our visual journalism and provide a more absorbing experience for our viewers,” said Stephen Adler, Editor In Chief and President, Reuters. “Through VR and 360 technology, customers will be able to deepen their perspective on news events and gain a richer understanding of the context."
Reuters cross-platform 360 video player was built in house, and is powered by the same technology that underpins Reuters TV.
Reuters, the news and media division of Thomson Reuters, is the world’s largest international multimedia news provider reaching more than one billion people every day. Reuters provides trusted business, financial, national, and international news to professionals via Thomson Reuters desktops, the world's media organizations, and directly to consumers at Reuters.com and via Reuters TV. Follow news about Reuters at @ReutersPR.
Thomson Reuters is the world’s leading source of news and information for professional markets. Our customers rely on us to deliver the intelligence, technology and expertise they need to find trusted answers. The business has operated in more than 100 countries for more than 100 years. Thomson Reuters shares are listed on the Toronto and New York Stock Exchanges. For more information, visit www.thomsonreuters.com.
Tel: +1 646 223 8243