Inside thomson reuters
Giving is about making a difference
By Kellie Wellman, Senior Director, Social Impact Institute
On November 9, 2022, the Social Impact Institute team hosted the first annual Thomson Reuters Global Volunteer Day. Employees used the day to volunteer for causes most important to them such as animal welfare, civil rights, education, healthcare, human services, hunger, homelessness, and environmental issues. Thank you to our amazing volunteers — because of them, we surpassed our goal of 2,000 volunteer hours!
Let’s look at our impact by the numbers:
- Over 750 employees participated in 15 countries
- We supported over 100 charitable organizations through organized volunteer events
- Our team volunteered over 5,000 hours, with 232 of these hours yielding $45,240 worth of pro bono consulting for various organizations
Thomson Reuters has had a longstanding commitment to supporting communities in which we live and work through volunteering and acts of service. At our first Global Volunteer Day, employees prepared and distributed meals and hygiene kits to those in need, stocked shelves at food pantries, picked up litter at parks and beaches, created cards for hospitalized kids and seniors, provided walks and toys for animals in shelters, hosted career workshops, and visited schools.
In addition, Tax & Accounting employees attending our annual SYNERGY Conference participated by writing 245 letters to military members and first responders for Operation Gratitude.
Employees welcomed the opportunity to make an impact:
- "We had a great time volunteering. This event made it possible for us to help the community and learn more about a regional non-profit, and we got to know each other a little better, too. A win-win. Thank you!"
- "It was great to see the enthusiasm and energy from all the volunteers. What a wonderful way to make a difference on Global Volunteer Day."
Most importantly, we provided much-needed assistance to local non-profits:
- "The volunteers brought such amazing energy, and our guests and staff loved spending the day with them. Thank you so much Thomson Reuters for the love and compassion you showed our guests, and for choosing us for your first Global Volunteer Day! We can't wait to welcome you back next year."
- "Over the past few months, we have seen a huge increase in the number of clients that use our services. We are constantly in need of volunteers to help us stock shelves in the pantry and prepare lunch and dinner meals. The Thomson Reuters volunteers have provided an invaluable service to us today and we are incredibly grateful!"
Watch the video below to see our volunteers in action on Global Volunteer Day.