November 20, 2020
Thomson Reuters Adds Damages in Litigation Analytics on Westlaw Edge
MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL, November 20, 2020 – Legal practitioners now have greater ability to analyze damages in federal court cases with the addition of Damages in Litigation Analytics on Westlaw Edge. Users can better evaluate and value potential cases, see how damage awards differ by case type, judge or court, and more effectively manage settlement negotiations.
Damages in Litigation Analytics is the latest enhancement to the industry’s leading legal research solution, Westlaw Edge. Without advanced analytics, attorneys spend extensive time poring over documents to gather information for estimated damages, only to find data that is insufficient for reliable aggregation, resulting in incomplete research.
Litigation Analytics on Westlaw Edge provides advanced filters that quickly narrow results into highly relevant and insightful damages information around given data points. In addition, Westlaw Edge draws from broad coverage of federal court civil dockets and provides summaries of awarded damages. Attorney editors further enhance results by adding claimed damages and allegation summaries for select dockets.
The result is a greater ability to quickly analyze the potential value of a case. This can more effectively drive the best client decisions, including whether to pursue continuation or settlement, managing negotiation tactics for settlements and understanding how damage awards vary by case type, judge or court.
“Insights from Damages in Litigation Analytics on Westlaw Edge provide a much simpler, faster and more efficient way to identify damages awarded in court, inform litigation strategy and better set client expectations,” said Jessica Nelson, director of Litigation Analytics Product Management, Thomson Reuters. “We are continuing to develop enhancements to address significant issues our customers face and Damages in Litigation Analytics will enable users to quickly assess the key points of case evaluation and allow practitioners to dedicate more of their time developing their legal strategy and conducting the relevant legal research.”
Additional recent enhancements to Litigation Analytics include:
- Attorney Finder – Search for an attorney by name, case type, expertise and jurisdiction directly from the home page, and compare attorney analytics.
- Case Type Taxonomy – Identify relevant case types with an improved taxonomy.
- Active Judges Page – Quickly understand the context of a judge compared to the court average, compare judges or apply new dynamic filters to narrow results.
- Judge, Attorney and Law Firm Overview Pages – View detailed information on judges, opposing counsel and law firms based on analytics of their case histories.
- New Case Types – Added new case types, including Public Health Emergencies and Civil Rights.
- Improved Transparency – Navigate easily between state and federal analytics with detailed coverage information on each page.
Damages in Litigation Analytics joins more than a dozen key tools and features – including Quick Check Judicial, Legislative Insights, Regulations Compare and Procedural Posture Filters – that have been integrated into Westlaw Edge, at no added cost to subscribers, since its launch in 2018.
Thomson Reuters is a leading provider of business information services. Our products include highly specialized information-enabled software and tools for legal, tax, accounting and compliance professionals combined with the world’s most global news service – Reuters. For more information on Thomson Reuters, visit tr.com and for the latest world news, reuters.com.